Project: Sydney Light Rail – CBD Zone C
Client: Acciona Infrastructure Australia
Locaters P/L were engaged to provide ongoing construction support for the utility treatment program including utility relocations, protection and installation of amplified networks affected by the Sydney Light Rail construction.
The construction of the Light Rail through the CBD section was the most challenging part of this project and is considered to be the largest utility job in Australia.
Stretching along George Street from Circular Quay to Central Station, traversing approximately 15 blocks through a number of key intersections.
Needing to keep these intersections open to maintain traffic flow through the majority of the project, works here were undertaken during weekend and night shut downs while works between the intersections continued within the compound fencing.
Locaters P/L provided flexibility and continuity from our staff with Acciona benefiting from the advantages of our multi skilled (Locator/Surveyor) personnel.
Our work required punctuality and efficiency to perform a range of roles including site mark up of existing utilities, permit sign off as well as design set out, construction surveillance, as-built survey and associated reporting.
Further to their needs on site, our responsibilities included the prompt distribution of new subsurface utility information to the project.
Locaters were able to innovate and customise a workflow that allowed important information and data to be available by end of shift enabling our Utility Survey Managers to respond to engineering and design requests raised by Acciona.
- Congestion of underground utility networks
- High-risk networks including high pressure gas, optic fibre, transmssion electricity, Telstra tunnels, large Ausgrid pits
- High profile environment working around the public
- Unidentified utilities
- Wide spread of construction activities and short windows of opportunity under traffic shut down conditions
- Shut downs requiring around the clock resourcing and planning
How we we helped:
- Gained thorough understanding of client requirements
- Supplied skilled competent personnel able to work under the high pressure environment
- Maintained consistency in personnel enabling ‘local knowledge’ to expedite site work
- Provided flexibility in resourcing to accommodate fluctuating project needs
- Undertook utility identification and reporting
- Delivered data in a prompt organised fashion