Project: Sydney Light Rail – Project Safety Team
Client: Acciona Infrastructure Australia
Working with Acciona’s safety team, Locaters P/L were part of the general project induction which was mandatory for all project staff and undertaken twice a week during the delivery of the Sydney Light Rail project.
Our Utility Survey Managers contributed by providing a 45 minute overview of Acciona’s commitment to utility damage prevention and an introduction to the project’s safety culture when working around utilities. This included highlighting the importance of Dial Before You Dig, AS5488 SUI Quality Level Classification, how to read utility site markings such as colours, coding and how to read Locaters’ own Combined Utility Drawings (CUD’s).
In addition, our USM’s provided specific Ground Disturbance Permit (GDP) training necessary for personnel directly related to excavation such as Acciona’s own enginners and supervisors as well as contractors machine operators and leading hands.
By the close of the works we had presented to over 8,000 people during the general induction and 570 into the GDP training and are proud to be associated with such a commitment from a constructor.
- 12kilometres of 2 way track from Circular Quay to Randwick and Kensington via Central Station
- Local road adjustments and arterial road works
- Commercial and residential property development and existing local business along the routes
- Interface with existing Light Rail and heavy rail networks
- Interfacing with University grounds and Health precincts
- Known heritage and archaeological sensitivities
- Project delivery timelines and construction sequencing
- High-risk utility networks including high pressure gas, optic fibre, transmission electricity, Tank Stream, Telstra Tunnels
- Poor or non existing record keeping of inground networks over previous 100 years
- Major congestion of underground networks within key construction areas
- Community sensitivity around high density residential areas
- Rapidly changing utility model with asbuilt and updated existing utility data
- Unidentified utilities management including drill and tap database management
How we we helped:
- Gained thorough understanding of client requirements
- Develop and deliver training and awareness presentation
- Collaborate with Acciona’s safety team to meet project expectations
- Compliance to Acciona’s own process’s and systems
- Provide feedback and further development around systems and safety
- Maintain line reporting to Utilities and Survey managers
- Ensured secondary capacity to cover sick and annual leave requirements of primary personnel